If you haven’t tried it yet, hiking by night offers sensations and feelings you cannot encounter during the day. Although waking up around 2:00 am might seem crazy I assure you it is worth it, especially during summer.
The night: the best moment for a summer hike
Have you ever thought that one day you would hike during the night? The perception of time given by the Sun disappears and you enter in a timeless dimension surrounded by Infinity. Our eyes cannot see further than a few meters and barely guess the shape of the mountains. When you are up there, looking at the stars in the middle of the night, you realize at this specific moment the preciousness of our world and how unique it is light years around.
When dawn approaches with its intense brown/orange shades, they are a lot of chances for you to see many Ibex and young ones running up the mountains while other hikers are still asleep in their tents. Once arrived at the lookout, the view offers itself to those who are fully awaken. Is there a better way to wait for the sun to rise than a cup of tea with croissants? When the Sun rises from the horizon you realize how fast the Earth rotates around its axle. Several minutes later the show is over and the day begins: only a handful of people saw the beauties offered by the night slowly giving room to the day. After a short nap we start our way down while masses of hikers walk towards the heights under a burning Sun.
Price rate for 1 to 5 people: €250
For any night hike project feel free to contact me and fill up the form below:
Night Hike: Fullmoon and Starlights
Depending of your interest, two kinds of night hike are possible.
- During the fullmoon week to test our ability to see at night. The reflection of the sunlight allows us to walk without headlamp on smooth trails. Our eyes get use to the darkness and after an hour we almost see like cats. The sensation is hard to explain as we experience something within us we barely use. Trust yourself and try you won’t be disappointed!
- Moonless night offers a different show. As soon as we are far enough from any light pollution we see a portion of the MilkyWay and far more stars. The mesmerizing beauty of Space forces us to stop to admire the different constellations created by the imagination of our ancestors. Who knows, we might see some shooting stars too!
With a pair of binoculars we will spy around the mountaineers on the glaciers starting their journey to a peak!
Hiking by night opens to a higher state of consciousness
Here is something marvelous we often forget in our daily life: We are all made of stardust. Over billions of years the huge gravity taking place within a star combines light atoms together to create bigger ones. The fusion reaction liberates energy in protons, photons and radiations. At some point, the atoms within the star are to big to combine with each other. At this specific moment two things can happen:
- Either the star exploses in a supernova: One of space brightest event responsible of the creation of the heaviest atoms. All its atoms are brutally spread across our Universe and the huge gravity of its heart falling on itself gives birth to a neutron star or a black hole.
- Either the star expulses its outer layers to create a planetary nebula while its heart gets smaller and smaller to become a white dwarf for almost eternity.
Hiking by night helps us to remind ourselves where we come from and how magical our reality is when we look further than the tip of our nose.
What you should wear for this hike
In the mountains, the weather can evolve quickly and change from one day to another. Therefore I invite you to download the app MeteoBlue and set the location to “Chamonix-Mont-Blanc”.
What you must always have with you:
- Sun cream
- Windproof/Rainproof jacket
- Technical clothing (no coton fabric)
- Hiking socks (such as Decatlon © Forclaz 900)
- Anti-chafing cream NOK (available at the drug store)
- Real hiking shoes ( as for instance the Scarpa © Zen pro)
- 2 litres of water/person (1l minimum)
- Cereal bars and/or dried fruits
- Hiking poles (highly recommended)